DESCRIPTION: 2016 British zombie movie about a girl living in a world where most of humanity has been wiped out by a fungal infection that turned everyone into flesh-eating zombies.
DIRECTED BY: Colm McCarthy. His next project is Krypton, a tv-show about Superman's grandfather.
WRITTEN BY: Comic book writer Mike Carey (Lucifer) based on his 2014 novel. He has a cameo as a zombie attacking the fence.
- Gemma Arterton as teacher Helen Justineau. The character in the book is a dark-skinned black woman.
- Paddy Considine as Sgt. Eddie Parks
- Glenn Close as Dr. Caroline Caldwell
- Sennia Nanua as Melanie. This was her first movie. The character in the book was a blond white girl.
STUDIO: Distributed by Warner Brothers in the UK and Saban Films in America. Half of the $4 million budget came from the British government.
MY TAKE: I really liked it. A new zombie classic. Kind of like a YA version of 28 Days Later. Very dark and violent, but also has heart.
- Was on the 2014 Brit List of the best unproduced British screenplays of the year.
- Filmed in and around Birmingham, England. Aerial views of the abandoned cities came from drones flying over the Ukraine ghost town of Prypjat near Chernobyl.
- Glenn Close's sister-in-law has a cameo as the zombie with the blue knit cap and green fungus on her face that Glenn Close's character stares at as she walks by.
- The premise of a girl dealing with a fungal-based zombie apocalypse is very similar to the Last of Us video game series.
- There actually is such a thing as a zombie fungus. It infects carpenter ants, turning them into mindless drones.