4/16/2017

MOVIE REVIEW

TITLE: The Eyes of My Mother

DESCRIPTION: 2016 horror movie about a psychotic young woman.

WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY: Nicolas Pesce. It was his first movie.

STARRING:

STUDIO: Billionaire Mark Cuban's indie studio Magnolia Pictures.

MY TAKE: My friend Jennifer asked me if I had seen it yet so I caught it on Netflix. It was okay. I liked the idea of it. A girl growing up thinking murder was normal. But the artsy-fartsy black-and-white tone really detracted from the whole thing and made it feel really pretentious. Spare me the sad face melodrama. Let's embrace the horror. She kidnapped people and mutilated them by taking away their eyes and vocal cords. But instead of focusing on that you get a lot of long shots of her sitting around looking mournful. Meh. I actually wouldn't mind seeing it remade as J-Horror. 

NOTES:
  • Premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.
  • The language that Francisca speaks is Portuguese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment