DESCRIPTION: 2016 fantasy who meets with a tree monster to cope with his mother's terminal illness.
DIRECTED BY: Spanish director J. A. Bayona (The Orphanage, The Impossible). His next movie is the latest installment in the Jurassic Park franchise.
WRITTEN BY: Gay British-American author Patrick Ness (creator of the Doctor Who spinoff Class) based on the novel from Siobhan Dowd that he finished after she passed away from breast cancer. The screenplay was featured on the 2013 Blacklist of best unmade scripts of the year.
- Lewis MacDougall as Conor O'Malley
- Sigourney Weaver as Conor's grandmother. Even though she's American, she pulled off the British accent because her mother is British.
- Felicity Jones as Conor's mother
- Toby Kebell as Conor's father
- Liam Neeson as The Monster
STUDIO: Universal's indie subsidiary, Focus Features
MY TAKE: I liked it. The story made me cry. The special effects were beautiful. All of the actors were great. Probably one of the most underrated movies of the year.
- Filmed in England and Spain.
- Was originally supposed to be released in October 2016 but got pushed back to January 2017 to avoid competition.
- Got good reviews but tanked at the box office, barely making back its $43 million budget. A lot of the problem was marketing. Wasn't a kids movie. But adults were wary because they thought it was for kids.
- Actor Tom Holland, who appeared in the director's previous movie The Impossible, visited the set and helped out with motion-capture.